This braised chinese dish takes longer time to cook, but it’s worth your time as it is very delicious.
Pork belly 400 gram
Sweet pea 100 gram
Star anise 2
Ginger 2 slices
Dark soy sauce 2/3 cup
Wine 1/4 cup
Rock sugar 3 tablespoon
1. Blanch pork belly in boiling water for 1 minute.
2. Rinse the pork belly, place in a pot of water with star anise, ginger, wine and 3 cups of water. Cook for 1 minute, remove and set aside the cooking liquid.
3. Place pork belly on a steaming plate. Add seasonings and the cooking liquid. Cover with aluminium foil. Bring water in the steamer to a boil. Steam pork belly over high heat for 3 hours until the pork turn soft.
4. Blanch sweet peas in boiling water. Place on a plate with pork belly.
5. Pour cooking liquid into a pot, boil over high heat. Stir as you cook until the liquid becomes thick.
6. Pour over the pork belly slices to serve.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time : 3 hours
Blanch the pork belly before cooking prevent the blood water from affecting the flavour of this chinese dish.